Friday, May 11, 2007

A Taste of Yellow

As of tonight I have officially endured the worst of my unfortunate food week(s) and am back in the kitchen churning out tasty food. I'm relieved. Last night nearly did me in when I realized I had no chicken broth, that my avocado had gone bad, and that my mango was a stringy mess like I'd never seen before. I was on the verge of tears, seriously.

I've been thinking of yellow food after having read about Live Strong Day on other blogs. I thought it would be perfect since I had a giant bag of lemons waiting to be used for something. The idea behind it, as far as I can tell, is to raise awareness about cancer and to show support for those currently battling the condition. In the food blogger community at large, we have decided to participate by making dishes with yellow food. Here's my take on yellow food starting with lemon risotto.


This is pretty much the same recipe as the red wine risotto but with lemons. Add 2 tsp of zest and the juice from one lemon with a nice handful of parsley and you have a lemony fresh dish that is so thick and creamy yet totally light.

I didn't stop there with the lemons or the yellow food. I haven't made chicken piccata in ages so I thought it was high time that I did. You can't make a dish easier than this. Flatten some chicken breasts, dust them with flour, salt and pepper, and brown them in a pan. Add 1/3 C white wine, 1/4 C chicken broth, 1/4 C lemon juice, 1 tbsp butter and bring to a boil. Add some more butter and a bit of flour to thicken things and throw in about half a handful of capers, some lemon slices, and some parsley and pour the sauce over the chicken. Yellow food in no time flat.


I just love these little baby carrots don't you? They're so cute. This recipe came from the back of the bag of carrots and I was surprised at how wonderful they turned out.


Honey-Vanilla Glazed Baby Carrots
from 'the back of the bag'

8 oz baby carrots
2 1/2 Tbsp honey
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp white wine vinegar
1/2 Tbsp butter
pinch of salt

In a saucepan large enough for the carrots so that they lie flat, melt the butter. Add the honey, vanilla, vinegar, and salt and stir to combine. Add the carrots and toss to coat with the sauce. Cook them on
medium-high heat until fork tender -- tossing to coat every so often.

No comments:

Post a Comment