Monday, June 2, 2008

FRS

I succumbed to a 'free' trial of a new product that is being promoted by Lance Armstrong. My FRS (Free Radical Scavengers) trial came with not just a energy drink, but also a powdered and liquid concentrate and chews. I've had time to try the sample and thought I'd blog about the experience.


First the taste. Well, if you're one of the lucky few who can't taste Splenda (aka sucralose) then you will probably like FRS. The 'diet' versions have a mere 5 g of sugar. I haven't tried the non-diet versions yet but I imagine they are loaded with as much sugar as a Red Bull or any similar energy drink. The drinks taste best super cold and chugged. I've had the berry and peach-mango flavored drinks. They're not great, with a slight vitamin-y taste, but they're not that bad considering some of the alternatives. The chews are a little more tolerable and come in lemon-lime and orange flavors. They have some grittiness but I've really gotten used to eating them despite the sucralose. The powders and concentrate can be added to other juices to mostly mask the taste. After a couple days trying the out my trial pack, I'm getting used to the taste.

FRS suggests drinking 2 cans of the drink per day and/or 2 chews at a time -- morning and afternoon. They also suggest drinking or chewing right before a workout for an added boost. P says he has definitely noticed a boost in energy from drinking/chewing FRS. He described it as different than coffee or other drinks that tend to give you the jitters. I haven't noticed a thing. I'm not surprised. I think if I ate an entire bag of the chews I'd still be tired. Unfortunately there's no quick fix when you live with CFIDS.

So what's in the stuff? FRS is more of a health drink than an energy drink. The caffeine content is about the equivalent of 1/4 cup of coffee. The main ingredients consist of green tea extract, vitamins and minerals, and quercetin. Quercetin is a powerful antioxidant found in green leafy vegetables, capers, red onions, citrus, apples, and various berries. This main ingredient seems to be how the drink got it's name, since antioxidants help combat the barrage of free radicals that damage cell membranes and DNA. Green tea extract is also a powerful antioxidant, and if you ask me you can't have too many antioxidants! In addition, quercetin works as an anti-inflammatory! After reading about quercetin, I want to eat more capers and red onions.

So maybe I can get past the taste if I know it's good for me. Each can is packed with B vitamins and vitamins C and E. The sugar and sodium content are minimal and the drink is not carbonated. The verdict is still out on whether quercetin is the next big thing or not. If you want to try it out for yourself look in stores or check out the trial. The downside to FRS is the price. If you don't cancel your subscription after signing up for the trial, you will be charged $60/month and receive loads of FRS at your doorstep. While the drinks are competitively priced at $1.99, a bag of the chews can cost you anywhere from $15-20/30 ct. Maybe we'll see a price drop if demand gets high, in the meantime ration your 'free' trial.

No comments:

Post a Comment