Wednesday, July 23, 2008

the lunch conundrum

I have a problem. I hate lunch. It is such an awkward meal. Most folks fill up on sandwiches or a salad and go back to work. I can handle that for a day or two then I want some variety. Normally I just eat some odds and ends and maybe leftovers if on the rare occasion we have any. I'll nibble on lots of different types of dried fruit, some yogurt, fresh fruit, cheeses, juices, nuts, maybe a bit of bread. The problem is that my breakfast also consists of the above ingredients so I'm quickly tired of them. Not to mention that by the end of my lunch break I'm hungry again!

For some reason I just can't bring myself to cook during my lunch break. I think I just want to avoid the dirty dishes. I'd much rather stir something together or just grab something out of a package then throw it away. But alas, I'm tired of being hungry after lunch and the nutritional value of the above snacking is very much sub par. I'm finally ready to take on lunch with more interesting and more nutritious fare.

One of my lunch options, that I had nearly forgotten until recently, is Molly's chickpea salad. True chickpeas aren't the best protein source, but I'll work my way up to meat for lunch eventually. Baby steps. This can be thrown together in minutes or the night before and chilled. I like to mix it up in a container by shaking (no need to dirty a spoon) then place in the freezer for 5 minutes or so before I eat it. The flavors really come together.

Chickpea Salad
courtesy of Molly aka Orangette

1 can chickpeas (get the good stuff, the ingredients should just say chickpeas)
juice of 1/2 lemon
1/2 tsp cumin or to taste
salt and pepper to taste
Parmesan to taste
olive oil to coat

Drain and wash the chickpeas well. Combine all the ingredients in a container and stir (or shake with a lid on it) to combine. Get creative and try adding herbs, different spices, vegetables, anything.

Any other lunch ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment