Monday, December 1, 2008

Bulgogi

It just dawned on me that I have yet to share one of my favorite recipes. How could I not share this quick and tasty bulgogi that P requests weekly. I'm not quite sure where I saw it first but this recipe is a winner. I've tweaked it ever so slightly to cut back on the saltiness and I think I've finally got it just right. This fish goes great with rice and lightly sauteed bok choy with garlic and shitakes. You can also use the same sauce on beef for the more traditional bulgogi approach.

Salmon "Bulgogi"
seen in Bon Appetit June 2008

1 large garlic clove
2 chopped scallions
< 1/4 cup soy sauce (I use about 1 oz)
1 tblsp Chinese rice wine
1 3/4-inch cube peeled fresh ginger
2 heaping tsp sugar
1 tblsp honey
1 tsp sesame oil
3/4 tsp sambal oelek (sriracha would work fine as well)
2, 1/5 lb center-cut skinless salmon fillets

In a food processor combine all of the above ingredients except the salmon. Mix until everything is combined. Taste to see if you need to add more sugar. Clean and thouroughly dry the fish. In a oven-safe skillet brown the fish on one side then flip it, add some sauce, and finish it off in a hot oven. Pour the remaining sauce over the fish and serve hot over rice or bok choy.

2 comments: