Monday, September 18, 2006

mâche

My lack of blogging is a result of being in the middle of finals and countless other exams the past two weeks. I've been eating out a lot and throwing together quick curries and other simple, unextraordinary eats. After finals I have a week off to do nothing but be lazy, catch up on reading and work my poor little kitchen to death. I intend to bake and bake and bake and whip up all sorts of things that I've been meaning to learn how to do or just experiment with. I'm terribly excited.

The only thing of note that I threw together was this wonderful fig, feta, and mâche salad with honey balsamic vinaigrette I had absolutely no idea what mâche was but it looked so wonderfully soft and silky in its container. It was just that. Mâche is also known as Lewiston cornsalad, mache, mâche, doucette, rampon, lamb's lettuce, field salad, nüssli, nüsslisalat, rapunzel, and Rampien. I prefer 'rapunzel,' but lamb's lettuce seems to best describe the texture and softness of the green. It makes for an excellent pre-fall salad.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, isn't that the lettuce that Rapunzel's mom craved during pregnancy, forcing her husband to steal some from the witch's garden, thus inciting the witch's stealing of Rapunzel? I wonder whether the girl was named after the plant or the plant after the girl? If you and I were named after plants, they'd probably be fruits rather than lettuces, don't you think? Well, that's modern times for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. weird! I had no idea about the story of Rapunzel. That makes me even more excited for micro greens!

    ReplyDelete