Sunday, January 28, 2007

Roasting Everything I Can Get My Hands On

I have to share this recipe I came up with the other night. Unfortunately I don't have a picture because it was eaten much too fast to snap a shot. It really was that good.

Pork Roast with Plum Reduction
2 lb pork roast trimmed
6 slices of thin cut prosciutto
2 glasses of dry red wine (I used a leftover cab)
1/4 C balsamic vinegar
2 Tbsp plum jam
2-3 Tbsp sugar

Prepare your roast with salt and pepper and olive oil. Drape the top with the slices of prosciutto and roast it for about 1.5 hours at 350 or until the juices run clear (or the internal temp is 150ish). While you're waiting for that, in a small saucepan add your wine, vinegar and dissolve the sugar and jam. Reduce that down until it coats a spoon. Grind some pepper at the end and taste it to see if it needs more sugar. I literally just tossed some sugar in there so I have no idea how much. I imagine it would vary a bit depending on what type of jam you use. You don't want it too sweet and want to keep the tangy-ness of the vinegar as well.

So when the roast is nice and juicy, let it rest before you slice into it. Take the prosciutto from on top, which should be super crisp, and crumble that over the top then drizzle the reduction over that. Perfect. Mine came out super tender -- 'no-knife-necessary' tender! Some nice fat stalks of roasted asparagus with roasted garlic and fontina accompanied this nicely. Asparagus goes great with everything though, doesn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment