Friday, April 20, 2007

Not Quite Steak and Potatoes

In the summer I crave cilantro like my life depends on it. I recently planted (for a second time) some cilantro of my own. I was slightly confused when I bought it since the leaves were not the large, fat leaves I was used to. After some nosing around on Google, I've figured out that I picked up the delfino cilantro instead of the usual large leaf variety. I must admit I was rather sad at first and considered pulling it up and starting again (for a third time) -- that distinct lovely cilantro smell just wasn't there. Then we had steaks and yuca.


I prepared the sirloins as usual -- letting them reach room temperature or thereabouts and seasoning them accordingly. Then I caramelized some onion with turbinado sugar. While I was waiting for the onion to turn translucent, my yuca was draining in a colander, post-boil. I pan fried the yuca until it got a little crisp and added a splash of lime but there was still something missing in this meal. I had thought my little cilantro plant was both lacking aroma and taste but I picked some anyway to see what happened. Running the knife through it, I found out just how wrong it would be to pull up my little plant outside on the deck. Not only was it helping me become carbon neutral, it was also full of flavor. The kitchen exploded in wonderful cilantro limey smell. I tossed it with my yuca, I garnished my steaks; dinner was complete. Delicious.

Unfortunately, a lot of people around the world don't have the right taste buds for cilantro. They think it tastes of soap. They like to picket and burn it on the streets. I hope they come around.

No comments:

Post a Comment