Friday, April 6, 2007

A Fine Glaze

Ever since we moved from Virginia, I can't say that there is too much that I miss. No more cold Winters, blustery Falls, and Virginia Ham. OK, I miss the ham. I've been wanting to bake a ham ever since we moved down here and the ham withdrawal hit me. I had been carefully perusing the meat section looking for a smaller sized ham at a decent price and then I found one. Ta-da:


I had no idea how easy baking a ham could be! In a small sauce pan I combined 3 small cans of pineapple juice, a handful of cloves, 3 or so smashed cloves of garlic, chopped ginger, with some brown sugar. Once to a boil, I turned down the heat to reduce it a tad. In the meantime I rubbed the ham down with Dijon mustard and placed it in a pan. I poured the juice mixture in the bottom of the pan and baked it for about 1.25 hours (for about 6 lbs). I carefully basted the ham every 15 minutes or so and everything got caramelized and delicious. Slice it up and save the wonderful sauce it makes. There will be loads of leftovers. I'm making a quiche right now and of course endless omelets for breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment