Thursday, August 30, 2007

Indian Food Tips and Tricks

After many, many attempts at various Indian food recipes, I think I can finally pinpoint most of the things that went wrong on those many occasions when dishes came out boring or bad. With a little help from Molly over at Orangette, I not only made this amazing chana masala, but I figured out some tips and tricks to Indian cooking putting all of my past experiences together.


  1. Gather an Indian spice collection You will need many things in your cupboard -- garam marsala, turmeric, ginger, cloves, cardamon, cumin, cinnamon, coriander, anise, and good quality chili powders of varying intensity.
  2. You'll need most of these spices in their ground and whole form so stock up on both.
  3. When using the whole seed spices, gently toasting them in a pan to bring out the lovely oils and aromas before grinding them.
  4. If a recipe calls for yogurt, use real Greek strained yogurt and not the regular stuff. Now that my Publix has Fage I can finally see what all the fuss is about.
  5. Although some bloggers say Indian food can be quick, be patient with your sauces. Letting things simmer and tasting them periodically is really what separates a dish that is bland to one that explodes in your mouth. Add what you think it needs, which does not always mean more salt.
  6. A mortar and pestle is the traditional way to grind your spices after they've toasted, but a coffee grinder or spice grinder will work well too. (I advise caution when grinding cloves in a coffee grinder -- I broke mine in a failed attempt.)
Go over to Orangette and try to make your own chana masala. This recipe is so simple that I've made it 3 or so times since stumbling across it. Molly says to stir in yogurt or just leave it as it is. I think the yogurt really brings it all together. Let it set before serving, the flavors are even better the next day.

3 comments:

  1. The same blogger, i.e. moi also says that quick is relative to the the time most Indian dishes take to make and cannot rival a sarnie or salad for speed. You are abolsutely right that frying spices properly and simmering is what makes it all taste so great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading mallika! I'd rather sweat in the kitchen for hours for great Indian than settle for a sarnie. You are right indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really loved it. As I love Cooking, would love to see more recipes tips. Even I sharing a Link of 'Indian Recipes cooking show', 'Indian Cooking Recipe', 'Indian Cooking' do check.

    ReplyDelete