Thursday, September 20, 2007

Some tasting notes to tide you over

I'm about to have an entire week to do absolutely nothing so I definitely intend to blog more. Things need to be spiced up around here. For the next 7 days I'll be doing something a little different and attempt to document desserts from every night. So that means every night to follow dinner, I'll try out a new dessert recipe from here and there. At the end of the week, we'll decide which turned out the best.

In the meantime, here are my notes from a France vs Australia tasting a few weeks ago.

Australia
Taltarnia brut tache - From the Victoria region, this champagne combines chard, pinot noir, and pinot meunier. I don't think I've had a tastier, more balanced bubbly. It is sweet and fun and much cheaper than our favorite standby Moet & Chandon.

Rockbare Chardonnay - Parker gave it 93 points but I just can't get into chards. There's something about the intense oaky-ness that says pickles to me. Far too many chards = pickle juice.

2 Up Shiraz - As expected, this one was intensely peppery with touches of plum and cherry.

Campbell's Muscat Classic - 93 points from Parker and it tastes so good. One tiny sip hits you hard with honey, caramel, and a rich creamy finish. I haven't met a dessert wine I didn't like.



France

Denogent Clos des Bertillonnes - What was that I said about chards? This one was less oaky and more minerally. I liked it because it really came together on the palate.

Frederic Tableau Cabernet Franc - 100% cab franc. This one smelled richly of coconut, was super velvety with lots of tannins. A bit of spice and plum rounded out the finish.

Pearson's Cabernet Franc - Parker gave this one a 92 and I'd have to agree that this was one of my favorites. Made from 60 year old vines, this wine was medium bodied with cedar, raspberry and a nice finish.

I have to declare Australia the winner just for the variety. Sorry France, you can't win every time.

No comments:

Post a Comment