Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Everynight Dessert: Day 3

It's only day 3 and I'm starting to feel the consequences of too much sugar. For someone who doesn't eat a lot of sweets, this week is quite a shock to the system. I'm going to continue, but try to find some desserts that are lighter and less prone to stomach aches if you eat too much.

One of my favorite things to do is add countless items to my Amazon wish list. Then, periodically when I have a little bit of money laying around to spend, I go through the list and search for items that are used for as little as $0.01 or $0.99. I pick up so many great books this way. Call me cheap but I call it smart shopping. Just because it is used doesn't mean it isn't in perfect condition. For instance, I picked up David Lebovitz's Great Book of Chocolate this way for a mere $0.01 plus shipping. (Sorry David) The book is a a gem, loaded with great information on chocolate and a good portion of recipes in the back. He has cookies, brownies, cakes, white chocolates, cupcakes, etc. The recipes aren't difficult, as you might expect from the former Chez Pannise pastry chef, they're simple and super delicious! Like these black bottom cupcakes....

I lost count of how many of these I ate last night. The cake was super moist and fluffy like devil's food. The filling, made from cream cheese and chocolate chunks, was perfectly creamy without being sickening like cheese cake. The filling held nice half-melted globs of dark chocolate tucked deep inside. It only took 10 minutes to whip up a batch of these and would have taken 5 if I could have pried open the jar of my coconut oil (another story entirely). Check out DL's book. I'm scouring Amazon to find a good copy of his other books, Ripe for Dessert and Room for Dessert.

3 comments:

  1. wow yr cupcake looks delicious. I am planning to bake this black bottom soon but am still worried about the cheese filling overflowing. I really like th looks yr cake ..it looks like the cheese filling is sandwitch between the cake somehow like a burger ...can u kindly teach me how u managed that.
    Did u bake using only the tray or with cup cake paper.

    thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're a piece of cake to put together! I used a silicon cupcake tray but you can use the paper liners. You just put a spoonful of the batter in the bottom, a spoonful of the cream cheese mixture, and then top if off with more batter. Once baked they firm up nicely and aren't gooey. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you ..i will try yr method soon. rgds

    ReplyDelete