Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Scallops


It makes me sad when I hear someone say they don't like fish. In the back of my mind I immediately think that they've never had a fresh, right out of the water fish. Fish is mild, with some exception, so I can never accept someone telling me they don't like it. They just haven't had it cooked properly and were left with a fishy taste in their mouth. Or there is the possibility that they had a bad experience with a fish stick as a child.

Fish should be done simply, and taste like the sea. All seafood should taste like the sea for that matter. Mollusks, shrimp, scallops and crabs are all relatively mild in taste but vary greatly in texture and richness. Scallops in particular can be super rich which is probably why you get so few when you order them in a restaurant. If you eat too many, you'll be bursting at the -- nearly the equivalent of a big bowl of pasta. Just like fish, I like my scallops done simply. If you want to add some richness to a light white fish (flounder, halibut, tilapia, cod) throw a couple scallops on top for a very satisfying meal. I like to match the subtle sweetness of scallops with an equally subtle spice, curry.

Curry-dusted Scallops
adapted from somewhere...Gourmet?

1 lb fresh scallops, tough ligament removed
Madras curry powder
sea salt and pepper

Properly clean and prepare your scallops. If you get them at the grocery store like I do, make sure you get dry packed. They may have been previously frozen but if they're dry packed, liquid won't seep out after you cook them. Fresh is always best of course. If you can find pink scallops use them; they are slightly richer than the white and look beautiful. In a small bowl mix a good portion of curry powder (scant 1/4 C) with about a tsp each of salt and pepper. Eyeball it! Pat the scallops dry them dredge them in the curry mixture, shake off excess and set aside. In a very hot pan with a thin layer of olive oil or some melted butter, sear the scallops. Cook about 1 min a side and be very careful not to overcook. Give them a little push/squeeze to see if they're done. Also remember that they will continue to cook after you take them out of the pan. Scallops are delicate and easy to overcook so be careful and patient. It's better to under cook than overcook!

Served above with panko-crusted halibut, Parmesan wilted spinach and sauteed shitakes.

5 comments:

  1. I love scallops...what are they exactly, though?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Curried scallops - yum! I love scallops, I will have to try this. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scallops...Mmm. We seem to share the same taste buds, Courtney, as I enjoy most things you are cooking. (now and previously) I don't know about the curry though. I would have to try that. Does it make it have a sweet aftertaste like a chicken/rice curry dish? I don't care for that combo very much. Just wondering.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweet...? Maybe. I guess so. Madras curry powder has a different taste than just the regular yellow stuff. I'm not sure how to describe it. If you're not into curry, you probably wouldn't like this combo.

    ReplyDelete