Saturday, October 14, 2006

Fall Food

The weather here today is amazing. It makes me glad to live in Florida. In the middle of October it feels like Fall yet is still wonderfully sunny enough for people to lounge by the pool. Open the windows -- it is incredible.

Since Fall is in the air I've been trying to get into all this Fall food since it is abundant. I've never been one for gourds but I'm trying to appreciate vegetables more as a whole. Its a slow process. I want to revert back to the summer days of tropical fruits and fresh fish.

I've been thinking lamb, duck and game hens lately. Plus butternut squash, pears, and pomegranate. Last week I tried some cornish rock hens with an Indian twist. I've been relying on epicurious entirely too much lately for ideas and this one surely was an excellent choice. Simply take a hen, thawed and split in half. For the sauce mix plum jelly, mango chutney, curry powder and chicken broth until they come together. Baste the hen halves and roast until tender and wonderful. I went for basmati to accompany and topped with scallions and half a lemon juiced -- peanuts would have been great if I had any lying around.

In other news, I now own a ice cream maker. I'm going to go sorbet crazy with the thing, just you wait.

2 comments: