Friday, March 16, 2007

Mushroom Risotto and White Asparagus

I used to think that risotto was this super precise, overly complicated dish. In reality, it is a piece of cake to make and so versatile you can really put anything in it. My favorite is probably red wine risotto but I've also make it a couple other ways. I think my new favorite is loaded with mushrooms and parsley. As long as you're willing to give it a stir now and then, risotto in any of it's forms should be part of everyone's side dish toolbox.

Mushroom Risotto
1 C arborio rice
2 tblsp butter
2 cloves of garlic
1 small onion (I like to use shallots instead)
2 C sliced mushrooms (any kind you like)
1/4 C dry white wine
3 1/2 C chicken broth
1 tbsp soy sauce
1/4 C grated Parmesan
salt and pepper to taste
handful chopped parsley


1 In a saucepan, bring the chicken broth and soy sauce to a simmer.
2 Melt the butter with a little olive oil then add the garlic and shallot until translucent
3 Add the mushrooms and cook until soft
4 Add the wine and let it simmer until it is reduced by half then add the rice and stir to coat the grains
5 Add 2/3 C of chicken broth to the pan and stir. Lower the heat a tad and just stir and add broth until all the broth is used up. You don't want to drown it and you don't want it sticking to the pan so 'water' it as needed and stir as needed.
6 The rice will get nice and creamy and tender then add the cheese and everything else to taste.


White asparagus is just regular green asparagus that has been denied sunlight and instead exposed more to ultraviolet light during growth. There is also purple asparagus but that is completely different than the green and white and I've yet to find any of it. I've always seen the white in the store but never bought any until yesterday. To be honest, I'm a little asparagus'ed out. I mean how many posts on here have pictures of asparagus? Would you believe that I used to despise it because it made your pee smell funny? I think it has replaced broccoli as my new favorite vegetable. Asparagus and I need to take a break though. I enjoyed the white but I think I would have liked it even more if I hadn't overdosed on those lovely green stalks.

See you again in a few weeks asparagus.

No comments:

Post a Comment