Friday, March 30, 2007

Ugli Duckling

I remember many a Parks and Rec soccer game halftime. We all rushed over to our benches and devoured slice after slice of juicy oranges. Sadly, when I got to Varsity soccer we just had water or Gatorade and the oranges were no more.


When I was in the grocery store the other day, I couldn't resist picking up this Ugli citrus. I had no idea what it was but I knew that it would be a surprise ugly duckling. Wiki tells me that the ugli is part grapefruit, part tangerine. After eating it, I'm not sure I agree. There is virtually no acidity like a grapefruit, it also lacks large seeds, and is the juiciest thing I've had in a long time. After devouring it, I was sticky all the way down to my elbows. It may look ugly on the outside but inside is wonderful, soft fruit. The texture is cloud-like and just melts in the mouth. Have lots of paper towels ready -- you will need them.

No comments:

Post a Comment